A Decentralized Organism
The Octo is a decentralized organism. You may hear some of the members refer to MetaGame as a DAO.
To understand how it works, first, you need to understand where MetaGame is played. I won’t go too meta on you and say “it’s played anywhere & everywhere” - although that would technically be true - the main places we are currently playing MetaGame are Discord, Discourse, Github.
- Ideas on what to build next mostly pop-up inside the chat first. They are bounced around until there’s enough interest.
- Then it’s time to collect feedback & write up a thread about it on the forums before it gets lost in the noise.
- Whoever likes the idea then makes it a topic of discussion on the next call.
- There, we figure out whether it is worth it & feasible to pursue it or not.
- If yes, we figure out the next steps and get on with it.
Throughout this whole process, most contributions are automagically tracked & contributors are rewarded with XP. Most, because some contributions are happening outside the system & some are just not accounted for properly - so we gather around the virtual campfire and fix that.
Next: We bridge the XP system into Aragon to mint Seed tokens based on XP created. This is the part where efforts to game the system fail 🙃.
Seeds are what allow MetaGamers to cash-in their contributions by either selling them or planting them & waiting.
At the heart of MetaGame is a meme. The MetaMeme, the MetaGoal, the MetaDream, or however the fuck you wanna call it.
- The idea we possess the right tools to build better functioning societies.
- The idea we can revolutionize the world from the comfort of our living rooms.
- The idea we may, in fact, have fun pursuing this path. And who doesn’t want progression through life and work itself to be more fun? 🤷♂️
Around this meme, there formed a community of like-minded people. These people are what makes the heart of MetaGame tick.
Minimum Viable Stack
- We got the meme & the people converging around it.
- Got chats, forums & voices to coordinate around building it out.
- Then we use things like Github & Substack for the actual building.
- Under the surface, SourceCred & Aragon are powering our accounting & rewarding systems.
- Finally, Balancer; mediating between the active & passive supporters.
- And there you have it, that’s how MetaGame works!
People, driven by a meme, empowered by the tools, and motivated by the inter-relational & winning feedback loops. Simple as that.